Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fiorito: The cops came and took my gun - thestar.com

Fiorito: The cops came and took my gun - thestar.com

Wow...this is an incredible story. Thank God it is 'just' Canada and not the US of A. Yet. Although I don't know of any particular instances such as this here in the US, I don't doubt that if it hasn't happened yet, it probably will soon. Here in the US, the irony is that those major cities with some of the strictest gun laws (Canadian-style) are the cities with the highest rates of violent crime. DC, Chicago, NY, etc. Why? Not because of the armed populace but rather BECAUSE of the unarmed populace...well, unarmed saved for the criminals who don't give a hoot about the gun laws anyway...

Beyond the crime/safety angle wrt gun laws, I believe the larger issue at hand is why is it in the government's interest to have an unarmed populace? Um...perhaps for their (the government's) safety? Our founding fathers knew from experience that an armed populace is to be respected...civil and respectful government. An unarmed populace...well, they are nothing more than the playthings of capricious government and tyrants.

As for me, I prefer to be armed. I prefer that may neighbor be armed. I prefer that my countrymen understand the rights and responsibilities and the necessary implications of maintaining their full and unfettered right to bear arms. I prefer that government get out of the business of disarming its citizens as when it does, it is, through numerous examples, one step away from tyranny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List